Monday, November 9, 2009

Adventure Playgrounds of yesterday, today and hopefully tomorrow


This topic was the starting point for my thesis and it taught me many things:
1. Not to over design spaces
2. Create spaces for kids and not tiny versions of adult spaces
3. Kids getting dirty while reenacting "The Lord of The Flies" is quite natural, however scary it looks to an adult......

During my research I came across this quote I have never forgotten, by Lady Allen of Hurtwood (above);

"Better a broken bone than a broken spirit".

You'd get sued today for just thinking that......

I am happy to report that even though the original adventure playground that started it all, at Emdrup in Denmark, has long gone, they are still thriving. Here's a short movie on the Play England website called "Adventure Playground Voices". Great.

No comments:

Post a Comment