Friday, July 5, 2013

Towards a Nature-Rich Urban Future vs 10 Billion

I'm torn, on the one hand I completely agree with Richard Louv in his column over at The Nature Movement, where he reimagines the future of cities "by looking through the prism of nature?"

But then I read this extract from computational scientist Stephen Emmott's book Ten Billion that, to my mind, suggests that despite what we do or plan to do we are all going to hell in a hand basket anyway....

However..... I think one of the many things that make us human (BBC Radio 2 series worth checking out) is our ability to hope. So while I applaud Stephen Emmott for his shock treatment, I think I will go the way of the optimist and hope that we can change enough to create a future worth having for us all.


No comments:

Post a Comment