Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Deutsches Technikmuseum



Back from Berlin and I'd like to share with you one of my favourite places. The Deutsches Technikmuseum. I thought this would be a good choice for my boys and the museum is full of trains, planes and boats (and a scary looking one man U-boat)....... all of which I enjoyed but I absolutely loved the museum park.

"The museum park on the premises of the former freight depot of Anhalter station is home to a variety of plants unique in Berlin.

The knotgrass from the Russian Sakhalin peninsula, the mahaleb cherry from the southern Danube region or even plants from overseas have found their way to this park. Together with the restored locomotive shed complex, this area offers visitors the rare opportunity to get a taste of the tension between nature and technology."

My photo above doesn't do it justice.... I had such a feeling of nature "rewilding" and would love to see spaces like this cropping up in and around cities. We should should spend less time controlling nature in the city and more time encouraging it to take over. 

(Don't think architects would agree, it might hide their buildings..... oh, did I say that out loud?)

No comments:

Post a Comment