Friday, September 9, 2011

Aidan and the secret of the Fibonnaci sequence in trees


A 13 year old, called Aidan, to be inspired by..... (not a photo of him above, that's Fibonnaci)

Just won Naturalist of the Year award with a project where he investigated the patterning of trees and then applied the results to solar power.

"My investigation asked the question of whether there is a secret formula in tree design and whether the purpose of the spiral pattern is to collect sunlight better. After doing research, I put together test tools, experiments and design models to investigate how trees collect sunlight. At the end of my research project, I put the pieces of this natural puzzle together, and I discovered the answer. But the best part was that I discovered a new way to increase the efficiency of solar panels at collecting sunlight!"

1 comment: