Friday, October 16, 2009

So this is interesting


"Children should not start formal learning until they are six, a review of primary education in England says."

The article on the BBC website quotes as saying that "there is no evidence that an early introduction to formal learning has any benefit, but there are suggestions it can do some harm."

I, for one, applaud the people putting this review together. Too many people are pushing children into the academics at a younger and younger age to the detriment of other important developmental activities, i.e. outdoor unstructured play, to name one. All for keeping up with test scores.

I know I never did very well on test scores and hated being assessed for my intelligence on how much I information I retained rather than whether I actually understood it.

No comments:

Post a Comment