Monday, February 4, 2013

Why Parents Need to Let Their Children Fail

I may have to have a serious rethink after reading an article over at The Atlantic......

I recently reacted very similarly to some of the parents in the article, I'm ashamed to say. I believed my son over the temporary teacher..........

Jessica Lahey, author of the article and an English, Latin, and writing teacher wrote:

"......I fantasize about the day I will be trusted to teach my students how to roll with the punches, find their way through the gauntlet of adolescence, and stand firm in the face of the challenges -- challenges that have the power to transform today's children into resourceful, competent, and confident adults."

That's what I want - resourceful, competent and confident sons....... Time to step back.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this. It portrays the problem well and gives me a lot to think about. Hopefully I can hone in my skills while my little one is still a toddler!

    Michelle
    http://thelearninglandscape.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete